24v Electrical Question

Old 05-25-2020, 05:24 AM
vegarick08
SHOW GUEST

Default 24v Electrical Question

I have a 12v electrical system in my street/drag Vega with a single Optima battery.

I crank the engine (three times for about 3 seconds each time) to get my oil pressure to register before I actually start the car (due to a low oil pressure switch).

When I hit the starter button on the 4th time (to actually start the car), it sounds as though... if additional cranking is required... it wont crank fast/long enough to fire the car.

Right now the car "works" but, I want to add some "security" in knowing I have more than four attempts to start the car!

QUESTION: If I put a second battery in the car and wire them in series to get 24v:

1. will that provide better/longer cranking ability?
2. do I have to change the alternator, starter, etc.?

I feel like this is something I should know, but I don't... thanks for any constructive feedback!
Old 05-26-2020, 07:14 AM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

It is not common to use 24 volts for a race car It is common to use 2 12 volt batteries in parallel. If that does not work, you have other issues. Also I would have your present battery load cell tested to see if it is in good condition. 16 volt battery is another option and the rest of your electrical system should work without other changes. Optima batteries have gotten a bad reputation since the company moved their production out of the USA and quality suffered. Maybe borrow a known good battery and see if anything changes. Those AGM style batteries require a special charger is they get low on voltage, below 10.5.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:49 AM
vegarick08
SHOW GUEST

Thanks Mark! I mistakenly thought wiring two 12v batteries together made 24v. If I read your post correctly, I do NOT have to swap out any electrical components if I wire two 12v batteries in parallel.

Be safe out there!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:46 AM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

If you wire 2 12 volt batteries in series you will get 24 volts. Just not necessary.